Marelli Automotive Lighting history reviewed
Seven decades have passed since the beginnings of the industrialized vehicle lighting production of Automotive Lighting in Brotterode. Over the last 70 years, the location has developed into one of the leading manufacturers of high-tech headlamps for passenger cars and has helped to define the world market regarding innovative design and technology.
The production of headlamps in Brotterode dates back to 1947/48 and the company Fahrzeuglektrik Ruhla. In 1990/91 Bosch took over the location. In 1994 with the Ford Fiesta, the plant received its first original equipment project in high volume series production. Many more would follow.
The technology and design requirements of the automobile manufacturers increased rapidly and so did the orientation of the plant.
In 1997, the production of plastic diffusers was introduced and thus the era of glass diffusers replaced. Two years later, the clear lens design and the Litronic-Production (Xenon) were introduced.
Automotive Lighting was founded in 1999 as a joint venture between Magneti Marelli and Bosch. In this way, both companies combined their know-how and many years of experience in lighting technology. After all, through acquiring Carello in 1987, the history of Magneti Marelli in the lighting sector goes back to the end of 19th century while Bosch produced headlights since 1912. In 2003, Automotive Lighting became a 100 % subsidiary of Magneti Marelli.
On 2 May 2019, Magneti Marelli and Japanese car supplier Calsonic Kansei merged to MARELLI, one of the biggest automotive suppliers worldwide so that today, Marelli Automotive Lighting Brotterode (Germany) GmbH is proud to be a lighting division of the MARELLI Group.
Milestones on our way to the future
2019Magneti Marelli and Calsonic Kansei unite
MARELLI, one of biggest global automotive suppliers is born and Automotive Lighting becomes MARELLI’s lighting division MARELLI Automotive Lighting.
2017Pixel light brings maximum light output to the roadway
With the Partial High Beam (PHB) in the Mercedes S-Class, Automotive Lighting once again brings the latest technology to the market, and the currently best light distribution onto the roadway. The innovative PHB light source has 84 individually controllable light pixels per LED chip.
Movement and coloring in one module for the first time
The Magic Movement module was developed by Automotive Lighting for the premium vehicle sector of Citroen. It is the first module in which reflectors and design parts, magically, completely rotate around their own axis. For the light functions, individual modules rotate 180 degrees, and follow the curve of the road up to a maximum of 55 degrees. Additionally, a new aspect is offered with the definable coloring via the use of RGB LEDs when the ignition is switched off.
2016First REAL MATRIX Headlamp on the Road
The matrix module with 84 pixel in 3 rows was engineered and developed for Mercedes-Benz. Series production at Automotive Lighting started early 2017.
2015A plus for visibility and safety
Automotive Lighting has developed and mass-produced a Laser-LED-Module for an auxiliary main beam spot for the Audi R8 headlamp. A new feature is the use of a laser light source in the automobile headlight. The laser high beam spot achieves a high-beam range of about 600 meters, whereby conventional high-beams in LED technology reach about 250 meters.
2015Automotive Lighting and Audi
are honored by the Red Dot Design Award. “Best of the Best” for the headlamp of Audi TT3 electronic 1-row matrix.
2014LASER-battle by BMW and Audi
With BMW i8, the bavarian carmaker brings the first Laser High Beam on the road. Audi speeds up and announces at the same time its first Laser High Beam in the R8 LMX model. The headlamp of Audi was made by Automotive Lighting.
2013Manufacturing on continually smaller printed circuit boards
In the electronics component manufacturing, the laser-soldering process supports the production of high-performance LEDs. Automotive Lighting is the world's first user of the laser-soldering process. With the help of laser-soldering, miniaturized product designs on increasingly smaller printed circuit boards are possible for the LED-production.
First intelligent All-LED Headlamp with ANV and PML
The intelligent adaptive headlamp with Active Night Vision (ANV) in IRED-technology and Pulsed Marker Light (using motoric controlled cutoff-line) is launched by Automotive Lighting in the Mercedes-Benz S-Class.
2012Light performance and low consumption values
In close cooperation with Audi, Automotive Lighting has succeeded in creating another lighting innovation. The Full-LED Headlamp of the Audi A7 not only stands for outstanding light performance and attractive design, but also for more safety and comfort during nighttime driving as well as for low consumption values.
2012100 years of Electrical Automotive Lighting
Technology anniversary celebrating
- since 1978 vehicle lighting from Carello
- since 1912 electrical automotive lighting from Carello
- since 1913 full electric lighting systems from Bosch
2011Red Dot Design Award
for the design of the intelligent camera controlled All-LED headlamp “Intelligent Light System” (ILS) of Mercedes-Benz CLS 2nd generation.
2011Introduction of the PML for Pedestrian Protection
The world’s first LED „Active Night Vision“ system (ANV) with LED-based „Pulsed Marker Light“ (PML) is introduced in the Mercedes-Benz in CL-class Coupe.
2010First Fully Electronical Controlled Adaptive All-LED Headlamp
Camera-controlled all-LED-headlamp with electronically controlled adaptive functions started in series production for Audi A7.
2008World premiere – First Full-LED-Headlamp
Automotive Lighting made its world premiere with the first Full-LED-Headlamp for the Audi R8. For the first time ever, all lighting functions are carried out in one headlamp using LED-Technology. These include low-beam, high-beam, daytime-running-light, indicator and position lighting. The Full-LED-Headlamp was introduced into series production. For the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class, a dynamic Full-LED Headlamp made of more than 700 individual parts was developed. It includes highway, motorway and bad weather lighting, as well as static cornering lights and enables active night vision by means of infrared lighting and monitor.
First standard LED ECU for high-power main lighting functions.
Automotive Lighting´s first All-LED headlamp in the Audi R8 was awarded the „red dot award“ in 2008 in the category of product design.
Developing and producing at world class niveau
Automotive Lighting in Brotterode introduces World Class Manufacturing (WCM) as a production system to increase the efficiency of all plant processes.
2005AFS with Active Infrared Emitter in Mercedes-Benz S-Class
In 2005, Mercedes-Benz created a sensation with the first world-wide sold active night vision System ANV. Like the AFS-headlamp as a whole, the active infrared emitter is supplied by Automotive Lighting, Brotterode, Germany.
2004Lenses made of two plastic components (2K)
After an innovative development step, it was possible to introduce the production of 2-component lenses. This increases the variety of designs.
becomes 100 % subsidiary of Magneti Marelli.
1999Founding of Automotive Lighting
Automotive Lighting was founded as a joint venture between Magneti Marelli and Bosch. With this, the two companies combined their know-how and many years of experience in lighting technology. The history of Magneti Marelli in the lighting sector goes back to the beginning of the 20th century.
Clear lens design and xenon light are gaining ground
The clear lens design as well as the Litronic production (Xenon) are introduced in the Brotterode plant.
1997Plastic replaces glass
The production of plastic diffusers was introduced and the era of glass diffusers put to an end.
1994Ford Fiesta headlamps: Original equipment in high volume series production
With the Ford Fiesta, the plant receives its first original equipment project in high volume series production. The technology and design requirements of automobile manufacturers for modern headlamps were rapidly increasing, as was the alignment of the plant.
A new epoque in vehicle lighting started – Xenon-light: Electronic controlled and ignitor switched high intensity discharge bulbs were used the first time in series cars‘ headlamps. Light color changed from 2.800 to 4.600 K – close to daylight. The luminous flux of these first Xenon bulbs trippled the light performance from former 1.000 to more than 3.000 lm. A visibility range of 125 m in low beam and 250 m in high beam mode improved the safety conditions of night time driving.
1990/91Brotterode becomes a Bosch location
Bosch acquires the headlamp manufacturer and modernizes the Brotterode location.
1947/48A long tradition of vehicle lighting begins
The production of headlamps in Brotterode dates back to 1947/48 and the company Fahrzeuglektrik Ruhla.